Application Instructions for Core RFPs
Applications are reviewed in a two-step process:
- Letters of Intent (LOI): ADDF’s science team will evaluate LOIs to determine whether the proposed project is consistent with the ADDF's mission and funding priorities. LOI decisions will be sent within three weeks of submission.
- Invited full proposal: Invited full proposals are reviewed by members of our external scientific and business review boards. Our 150+ scientific and business reviewers represent some of the world’s most recognized experts from academia, biotech, and pharma. Proposals deemed fundable by reviewers will then undergo further due diligence by ADDF’s science team and advisors to arrive at a final funding decision.
BEFORE GETTING STARTED
- Review the RFP for which you're applying.
- It is highly recommended that you access the ADDF Funding Portal to begin the application process well in advance of any deadlines. Please note, new applicants should allow 1-2 business days for registration.
- Read the Application and Funding Policies.
- For the full proposal stage in Step 2, review Body of the Application instructions for full proposal requirements.
Submit a Letter of Intent (LOI) through the ADDF Funding Portal.
1. Fill in contact and project information (e.g. title, duration, amount requested).
2. Include project details as follows:
- Scientific Rationale and Background (300 words maximum)
- Specific Aims (300 words maximum)
- Summary of Key Supporting Data (300 words maximum)
- Required for resubmissions only: Attach a written point-by-point response to each of the reviewers' comments and upload as "Applicant Response to Reviewers."
If invited, submit a full proposal through the ADDF Funding Portal.
Information you submitted with your LOI will carry over to the full proposal. This information can be edited or expanded upon at this stage.
In addition to these auto-filled sections, you will be asked to write an Executive Lay Summary (300 words maximum) and Biographical Summary for the PI (300 words maximum). The remainder of the application is as follows below.
1. Body of the Application: Review the instructions for the required sections and forms for the Body of the Application here. Please compile the four sections below into a single PDF and upload as “Body of the Application”.
- Project Narrative
- Relevant Project Detail Forms
- Compound Report Card
- Fluid Biomarker Report Card
- Animal Studies Questionnaire
- Human Subjects Questionnaire
- Budget and Budget Justification
- Biographical Information (Biosketches) – existing NIH biosketch forms or other formats are accepted
2. Business Packet: REQUIRED FOR ALL BIOTECH COMPANIES. In the event that these materials are not available, please provide justification. Please compile into a single PDF and upload as “Business Packet”.
- Statement of Need
- Business Plan or Corporate Strategy – include company description and history, mission statement, market analysis, risk analysis, milestones, scientific and financial goals, and future plans
- Description of Management Structure – include a list of board members
- Capitalization Table
- Financial Statements – balance sheet, income statement, cash flow statement
- Company's Current Annual Budget
- Description of Investors to Date
- Intellectual Property Summary – note all IP linked to the project, including pending or granted IP, and if you expect to generate new IP; if the patent(s) are openly available online, please include the link(s) in lieu of attaching full files.
3. Appendix Materials: For each uploaded appendix material, please select the file type from the drop-down menu. These materials can include:
- IRB-ready clinical protocols
- Quotes from vendors or contract research organizations (CROs). Please include competitive quotes from more than one vendor where possible.
- Letters of support/collaboration
- Figures that cannot be embedded into the body of the application but are directly relevant to the application and may be helpful to the review committee
Please limit the number of additional attachments included. You may also include unpublished manuscripts. Publications and patents that are openly available online should be linked in lieu of attaching the full files. Up to 3 published papers will be accepted. Please do not include presentation decks or full patents.
ADDF FUNDING PORTAL
If you have any questions about the online application system or process, please contact the Grants and Mission-Related Investments Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.